Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Man Quiche

My peeps enjoy a quiche now and again.  For breakfast.  Along with other breakfast foods.
But if you try to pass it off as a main dish for dinner, they look at you sideways.  So I had to come up with a quiche that the menfolk would readily accept as dinner one day last week and I think I did good!  I pulled out one of my freezer pie crusts and a deep dish pie dish and got to filling it with eggs, half and half, cheese, spinach, sausage, and bacon.  It might not be a magazine-pretty quiche, but I barely got a slice of it the next day for my breakfast!
******
Rustown Quiche
5 eggs
1 1/2 c half and half
1/2 bag of baby spinach, wilted in a little bacon fat and cooled well
2 cups grated Swiss cheese
8 strips bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1 package brown and serve breakfast sausages (frozen)
1 pie crust for a deep dish pie

Preheat over to 350.  Cook bacon* and shred cheese and set both aside. Using a tablespoon or so of the bacon fat, saute the spinach until just wilted and set aside to cool.  Beat the eggs with the half and half and season with salt and pepper. Toss the grated cheese with a tablespoon of flour and sprinkle into the crust.  Layer bacon pieces next, followed by a layer of the wilted spinach.  Pour the egg mixture over that.  Top with frozen sausages.  Bake until set - about an hour and a half in my case.
******
I let this cool, then popped it into the fridge with instructions for them either to heat it a bit on their plate, or eat it cold.  I also had salad in there, but I can almost guarantee no salad was eaten...



*the easiest way to cook bacon is to go buy one of those microwave bacon trays!  Put 4 slices on the tray, cover loosely with a paper towel, and microwave for 3 to 3.5 minutes.  Perfectly crisp cooked bacon every time!  And the bacon fat pours out easily into a container you can store in the fridge...

No comments: