Friday, May 19, 2017

Nifty and thrifty. Sort of.

Last week I hit a couple of thrift stores on my way into work.  It's been a while since I've gone, and I wanted to visit a new one close to the hospital.  I don't go looking for anything in particular, though lately I am drawn to clothes more than household goods.
Earlier this month I ordered some new clothes on line, which I was in dire need of.  (and I ended up returning most of it...)  But at the thrift store I couldn't pass up this cool and comfy rayon top that I thought would look cute over shorts or with a skirt. 
Just needs a press.
I also found this tiered skirt in a fun print.  Wrinkly and waaay too long for my 5'3" self, I lopped off the bottom flounce, gave it a quick hem stitch on the machine, and ironed it.  I LOVE IT.  I found a vintage navy tee at target to wear with it, too.  Skirts are one of my favorite things to wear.
 
The non-clothes items included this wicker wastebasket for The Lounge, mint condition.  And a cute wire basket to hold mail on the bookcase in the hall.
Mostly I am being mindful not to just buy something at a thrift shop just because it's cute or cheap - I want everything in here now to have a purpose, as Hubby and I will eventually need to think about downsizing.  But for less than $18 I have a couple additions to my wardrobe and two useful baskets!




2 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

"Mostly I am being mindful not to just buy something at a thrift shop just because it's cute or cheap - I want everything in here now to have a purpose, as Hubby and I will eventually need to think about downsizing."

Very cool. Very, very cool.

Love the finds as well. Pretty.

Kim said...

I always have to be mindful when I am in the thrift store. So much pretty...