Monday, June 6, 2016

What the week holds: Summer is here!

Summer at my house nowadays is a lot different from years past.  I'm no longer spreading out various forms and applications for sports camps and swim lessons across my dining table, checkbook at hand, signing kids up for all kinds of activities designed to keep them busy and learning.  I no longer buy Summer Bridge Books, and make out a schedule for the pool, library, trips to museums....  I don't make lunch menus out.  Aren't going through everyone's shorts, tees, sandals, and swim gear, making lists for summer clothes shopping.  And adjusting "bedtimes"?  Nope.  Haven't adjusted anyone's bedtime at Camp Rustown since Bubbie left middle school.
That doesn't mean things aren't happenin' here, it's just a different kind of summer prep. I can step back a little from the micromanaging of the kids' lives that I was a pro at in years past...This summer, Bubbie goes to Philmont, so we are helping him gather all the clothing and gear he needs for that. We'll be taking him to get his driver's license, signing him up for community college classes, getting him a new phone.  Scout will be living on his own for a little over a week, so I will buy him easy meals to make.  Hubby and I are planning a vacay, just the two of us for the first time in 26 years. The back to school list will look very different, too!  Things change, it's true.  But thank goodness summer is here - it still feels wonderful for the school year to end and a new season to begin.  What are your plans for summer?




1 comment:

Jennifer Juniper said...

So happy the two of you are getting away just the two of you!!! I can't wait to read all about it! What a summer of transitions :)