Monday, February 15, 2016

What the week holds: Cowboy Chicken

One of my Christmas gifts to The Girl was a lucite recipe holder from the Container Store.  I ordered some nifty dividers and filled in some of the cards with recipes from home.  My plan is to send a few recipes now and then.  But it turns out, The Girl has plans to find a few new recipes of her own!  {wonder where she got that from?...}
She sent me a recipe for Cowboy Chicken, which made some fantastic tacos!  So easy to do, and very tasty - and we all love a taco around here.
 Cowboy Chicken
1 package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 6 of them)
1 T dijon mustard
2 T brown sugar
2 c. salsa (fresh is best)*
1 can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained.
Her directions:
"Literally just throw everything into the crock pot for 5 hours on low, then shred chicken, replace (in crock) for 30 minutes more. Serve over either rice or corn tortillas with 2 % shredded Mexican cheese." 

 A few vigorous stirs shredded it up nicely...
 
I used flour tortillas since that's what I had.  We also topped ours with fresh guacamole, sour cream, and some of that leftover salsa.  Need a salsa recipe?
******
*I put these things into my food processor:
2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
Half a red onion, roughly chopped
a bunch of cilantro that I cut most of the stems off while they are still bundled together
1/2 a lime squeezed in
some salt - just a teaspoon or so
I pulse it several times until it looks "just right" - you be the judge of your salsa!
******
Taco night is the BEST part of a Monday.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails