Monday, May 18, 2015

Pimiento Cheese Spread

I'm a big fan of homemade cheese spread - as a child my mom would make her own version with grated cheddar, mayo, and bacon instead of pimiento.  While that was very delicious, I wanted to make the southern version of pimiento cheese.  So, recently I made it for dinner using a recipe from Martha Stewart and making slight changes.
It was creamy and sweet and cheesey and sooo good on ciabatta rolls!  An easy dinner and everyone loved it.

Pimiento Cheese Spread
1 1/2 c. grated sharp cheddar
1 1/2 c. grated monterrey jack
1/2 real mayo
1 tiny jar of pimientos, undrained
freshly grated black pepper, salt
Mix all together and chill.  Serve on bread, rolls, toast, celery sticks...


With soup it was the perfect meal!
There's nothing like fresh grated cheese.  I used to buy the big bags of pre-shredded cheese, but what I found was that we ended up eating too much cheese and it didn't melt or taste quite the same - fresh is best.  Still, I made this a couple of hours in advance of dinner, and the next day it was even better!





Shared with

1 comment:

Simply LKJ said...

Looks delicious! Will have to give it a try.