Monday, May 4, 2015

Catching up

I haven't been to visit my mother since right before my knee surgery in October.  So it was time for us to catch up on visiting.  Right as I drove up, I notice a pick-up blocking her drive and a guy hauling off limbs from a recent storm.  Then I hear someone yell at him to close the gate.  Then I see a streak of Gus.  The guy loading the limbs chases after him, my mother comes of the house wondering what is going on, then limps down the street in pursuit.  They get the dog.  But something like this is always happening there... barely controlled chaos.  Anyways.
She warned me the chickens like to peck at people - they pecked at my Keds, so I kicked the fence and told them who is boss.   Give me your eggs and no lip beak!  My mother's garden lot is insane - all the rain we had made it a virtual forest.  However, these chickens dig deeper holes than the last group, so I stayed safely on the other side of the gate with my janky knee.
We had a delish lunch which both of us scarfed down - chicken and dressing, squash casserole, broccoli - then went to buy plants.  It was fun wandering around admiring plants and dreaming of container gardens.  She saw a friend there and stopped to socialize.  I miss bopping around with her.  I need to get back sooner rather than later...We have some projects to attend to at her house.
She gave me chickie eggs, some dewberry jam, and a gold watch.  I'm not sure what the watch was for.  My mother is a mystery to me sometimes.  One minute she's telling me I'm going to hell, the next she's telling me she loves me dearly.  I love her, too.  Because I forgive.  Watch or no watch.




1 comment:

Brandi said...

Glad you had a nice visit with your mom.