Friday, March 7, 2014

Buttermilk Bacon Quiche

This week I was on a mission to use up some of what we already had in the freezer.  I hate wasting perfectly good food!  And we love eggs and cheese...so it was a no-brainer to make quiche!
 It was really good!  And helped me use up some pie crust, bacon, buttermilk, and cheddar cheese.  I modified a very basic recipe for quiche - which is nothing more than eggs, cheese, and milk.  We love to eat ours warm from the oven.

Buttermilk Bacon Quiche
1 refrigerator pie crust
1 yellow onion, sliced thin
1/2 a jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced fine
5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 T of the bacon fat (or use butter)
8 large eggs
1 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. milk (I used a high protein 2%)
1 T flour
salt and pepper
2 c. shredded mild cheddar

Pre-heat the oven to 350.  Spray your deep dish pie pan with Pam and lay the crust inside.  Cook the onion in the reserved bacon fat til tender and add the diced jalapeno in.  Cook a couple minutes more to soften the jalapeno, then spoon into the crust.  (I always make the bacon in the microwave in a special bacon cooking doodad.  Then I save the fat.)  Whisk the eggs, buttermilk, milk, and flour then season with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle half the grated cheddar on top of the onions, then pour on all of the egg mixture.  Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on, top with bacon, and bake for 55 minutes.  Let sit 10 minutes, then slice and serve.

 Not sure why the crust puffed up, but thank goodness I used a deep dish pie pan!  I served this with skillet home fries and a salad.
And that was a very easy and filling meal!





No comments: