Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Sweet Little Snowmen tutorial

I know we haven't had Turkey Day yet, and I refuse to decorate for Christmas until then, but I have to start thinking about gifts and budgeting and such, and I so wanted to make some handmade things this holiday season.  I found the instructions for these cute little cutes years ago - from a craft book for kids, I think.  One year I made them for co-workers. We don't get a lot of snow here, but they are fun and festive.
I decided to make them again this year.  Want to see how I did it?  Here goes:
You will need several pairs of those cheap white gloves from JoAnn - they are about $1 a pair.  Also a bag of fiberfill, some assorted sizes of pom poms, some skinny rick rack, some decorative 1/2" ribbon, hot glue, rubberbands, and some small googly eyes.
 Turn the glove inside out and pull the middle finger through.
I used my machine to stitch across the base of the finger - but you could do a hand stitch, or even fabric glue.  No need to trim it off.
 When you turn the glove right side out again, the finger is missing and there's a nice straight line there.  Do you see two arms, and two legs?  Good!
Now you will stuff your glove with fiberfill - not too full, but nice and plump!
I stuff all the way to the cuff, then tie a rubber band around the top of the "body" just above where the palm of the glove is.  You can check and make sure your snowman is as plump as you'd like at this point.
 Then I put another small rubber band at the base of the cuff and fold it over, completing the head and making the edge of a hat.  Say hello to my leetle friend...
 Tie a cute ribbon as a scarf around the neck to hide that rubberband, then hot glue a pom pom onto the top of the hat. 
 I made all of these snowmen in about a hour.  And that included hunting for my glue gun.
 Glue on the googly eyes and a small pom pom for the nose.
Add some rick rack to the hat to make it more festive.  You can attach the "hands" with a safety pin, or a some thread and tuck a treat in there.  You could also attach an ornament hanger and let someone find him with his treasure, hanging on your tree. 




Shared with:
http://hopestudios.blogspot.com/2013/11/tutorial-tuesday_19.html