Friday, November 1, 2013

So, I've been walking...

Years ago, I struggled with a major bout of depression.  One of the best things I did for myself was commit to walking at least an hour a day.  Not just strolling - really pounding the trail.  I switched it up, going to different parks, trails, and taking different routes in the neighborhood.  It made a measurable difference in the way I felt and helped me with my flagging energy level as well.  So important when my kids were young and I felt so much stress.
Over the years I've started, stopped, started back up again - depression is one of those monsters that seems to want to revisit me.  When I feel it pulling on me physically, I have to lace the shoes on and go.  If for nothing else than to think I am doing something that won't involve another pill to swallow.  And that's where I'm at now.  The holidays are coming...I need to be proactive and think ahead at how to handle those stresses.
And walking is my literal First Step.




1 comment:

Michelle said...

What a great idea. I never thought about it but I always feel better after I go for a walk. I wanted to let you know I am doing another game/ give away. This time it will be a hidden object game. Hope you can join us.