Friday, October 25, 2013

The Lounge is ready

The spare room has sat pretty much in an unfinished state since The Girl's return to college.  Oh, sure I cleaned it up and moved a few things in.  But we weren't really using it for much.  I sew in there, iron, craft a bit.
 
But I haven't made it a space we could hang out in.  Until this week.  The Girl is coming to visit, so I wanted to spruce it up and put some of the stuff away - like the massive ironing board...
My sister wanted her twin bed back, so I thought the next best thing for this room would be a futon.  I found a decent one at Target along with a soft squishy green pillow.
I added my Pottery Barn napkin pillow and a silky throw.  (Futons aren't historically all that comfy, but that didn't keep me from taking a two hour nap on it yesterday...)
After I covered the rolling stool with some of that great owl fabric, I had a little leftover to make a soft cover for my sewing machine.  I like that my machine takes up so little space.  I could put it up and use the cabinet as a side table, if need be.
 
Above that I hung a small memo board.  My plan was to use that to hold pattern instructions up with, but knick knacks and photos soon found their way there...
I can't take these floating shelves down because they required huge holes to hang - remind me never to buy those again. So I just put a few items on them and hung an extra clock we had.  This was a great place for the stuffed owl to roost.
I had repainted the small pink lamp from The Girl's room, so all that was left was to spruce up it's shade.  I covered it in burlap and added the monogram back on.  I added some pretty drawer liner from HomeGoods, then  set to work organizing those drawers with craft supplies.  I plugged my owl wax tart plug-in with a fall scent and we were open!
It's not an exciting makeover, but it smells clean and is available for everyone to kick back in, read a book, do something crafty, wrap Christmas gifts, watch a video on their laptop...whatever.  Prompting us to rename it The Lounge.  And now it's time for me to clean the rest of the house, bake a cake, and wait for The Girl to arrive...





Shared with:

No comments: