Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pizza Muffin Cups

 
I have seen this idea in magazines and on blogs and thought it sounded perfect for little kids - but as it turns out, big kids like 'em, too and they are prefect for school lunches!  I started out by making pizza dough - go here for a great all-purpose recipe.
Let your dough rise, covered, in a warm place for about an hour.
Then grease a muffin tin, sprinkle a little cornmeal into each muffin cup in the pan and divide up your dough by 12.  That cornmeal makes them non-stick and adds a nice crunch to the bottom of the muffin.
Make a flattened circle of dough out of each portion and gently press into each muffin cup.
Choose your pizza fillings - I had no pepperoni, but bacon is a great substitute!  You could also do ham, chopped bell pepper or mushrooms, olives...whatever you like on your pizza.  I also just use spagetti sauce for pizza - I can't tell the difference.
Load up your little pizza cups and press the filling down slightly with your fingers.
I used a spoonful of sauce and just eyeballed how much filling to put in.
The dough will rise up over it a bit.
Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.  Let cool a bit.  Then eat, or wrap in foil and freeze for the kids to pack their own lunches.  This school year, I'm all about  'I buy and fix the food, you pack your own lunch".
They aren't messy at all - a big plus in my book.  
Easy to pack, easy to eat, pretty darn tasty!




Shared with:


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those look great!

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

YUM! These look delicious, Gina!