Friday, June 29, 2012

Curtains off the list!

I originally started this project in March...
It took me three months of procrastination and quite a few hours sewing and they aren't even real curtains.  Hubby noticed them right away when back from camping and said he liked them!
 
It's not as though they are a huge statement in this room, but they add a little something to those plain blinds, no?  I like that they are pretty neutral.  I love color and pattern, but it didn't seem right for curtains in this room.
The ottoman, yes.
I chose a natural color cotton fabric.  Lighter than the drop cloths I've people people use for curtains lately, and I could buy as much as I needed with my 50% off fabric coupon at Joann. I think I spent all of $17 on the fabric.
I added some sage green burlap from my stash to the bottoms of the curtains.  It helped add length and a little color.  While I was at it I made "tie backs" by folding and stitching a length of burlap.  Here's a close up:
You have to get really close to see the stitching.  
A zig zag works best when sewing burlap, I think.
Remember the "curtain rods" themselves?  Drapery hooks.  I found some plastic coiled tubing in hubby's toolbox that I used to bridge the gap for the curtain casing.
It worked great!
 
The drapery hooks worked out nicely for those tiny spaces at the outer edges of the windows.  It's hard to get good lighting in here to show the whole thing!
All in all, I am pleased with it, but just as pleased to have it done, finally.  Now to add a room size rug to this room and figure out what to do about that coffee table.  
Progress is slow...



                

2 comments:

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

So smart!! And very pretty.

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

The curtains looks wonderful Gina! And how you bridged the gap with tubing for the curtain tie-backs...brilliant! Great job girl! Angie xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails