Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Den lamp re-do

The den project is slow going, but eventually, when I'm not working all these extra hours at work, I will have a couple of days in a row to get it done.  I hate doing a big project piecemeal.  It just feels so frustrating not to see enough progress to visualize the end result!  Plus, I'm lazy and tend to want to do it NOW as opposed to taking my time and doing it right.  Guess it's good I haven't had time to get it all done. (:
One of the maintenance things I wanted to do in this room is give the lamp a new coat of paint.  It was a solid brass lamp that I spray  painted  black.  Hubby has had this since college, I think.  It's got some wear and tear on it since the first paint job several years ago...
 It normally stands at one end of the leather couch - that shade could use some spiffin', too.
 I took it out to the patio and gave it a light sanding, primed it, then painted with ORB spray paint.
 I didn't even bother to tape off the glass table insert.  Dry spray paint scrapes off like a charm.
 While it dried, I gathered some sage green burlap and craft glue.
 Painted the shade with glue and wrapped the burlap on.  Trimmed it up a bit and tucked the edges under.
 Here it is drying on the kitchen counter with clips to help it stay put.
 After;  a nice ORB metallic sheen on the base with no nicks or chips.  Better!
 See?  The paint scraped right off with a widget.  I use that widget scraper for so many little jobs like this - if you don't have one, get one.  I promise you will use it a bunch.

Put back together and waiting for me to get going on the rest of the room.  
It's has a softer glow when turned on and I love the texture the burlap gives.
Might need to finish off the edge with some pretty trim. 
Whatcha think? 



4 comments:

Lori@thestonybrookhouse said...

Hi Gina! Great Job with the lamp. I love how your blog looks! I nominated you for the Versatile Blog Award! Check it out!

http://www.thestonybrookhouse.com/2012/04/what.html

Blessings,
Lori

momto8 said...

looks great!!

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas said...

Hey Gina - your lamp looks great. I scrolled down a little further and thought, "Man, I need some more clips!" lol. They really came in handy while the glue dried.

I've been out of commission for a while but wanted to stop in and say hello. Have a nice rest of your Thursday.

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Great job Gina! Amazing what a little paint and fabric can do to give something a fresh look! I did not know that paint comes off so easily! Good to know since I plan to do a glass top coffee table soon! Have a wonderful weekend! Angie xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails