Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Black Bean and Sausage Pot

This week the challenge is to be thrifty and still put a delish dinner on the table using what I have on hand.
Crock pot cooked black beans from the freezer, dry rice, bell pepper, onion, a can of diced tomatoes, and half a package of jalapeno cheddar sausage.  Seemed a little lackluster, so I added a package of...
 ...Italian salad dressing mix which came free with a cruet I bought to make and store my own salad dressings.  The following is not so much a recipe as an experiment!  I cooked the rice and set it aside earlier in the day.  Then about 30 minutes before dinner, I sliced and cooked the sausage and set it aside, too.  Then sauteed the chopped  onion and pepper in some olive oil and added the tomatoes, juice and all with  the seasoning packet and a can of water.
I simmered it all about 20 minutes, then stirred in the rice and kept if warm in the crock pot while I fixed butter dip biscuits from Plain Chicken. It made something of a stew, perfect with the biscuits.
******
I have to say - it really hit the spot and letting it warm in the crock pot while the biscuits cooked gave me 15 minutes of TV with my feet up!  Not bad for a weeknight frugal meal.



Shared with:


1 comment:

Tabitha (a.k.a. Penny) said...

Hi Gina! I will be out of town this weekend so I wanted to go ahead and let you know that this recipe is my personal fave for Weekend Potluck on Friday, March 9th. Thanks so much for linking up. Can't wait to try this out.

Please swing by my blog and pick up the red featured Weekend Potluck button to proudly display. :)