Friday, January 13, 2012

Crockpot Lentil Soup

I've been battling sinusitis for what feels like forever and soup has been a very soothing thing for me...pricing it in the store, I was inspired to make my own.  Cheaper, healthier, and more rewarding...not to mention, you can make more soup than you need right then and freeze the rest.  Bonus!  There's no recipe to this, just a method.  I rinsed and drained my lentils and placed them in a large crock pot with some leftover smoked turkey from the holidays; specifically a drum and a wing. 
Then I rooted around in the veggie drawer for those things we needed to use up at the end of a week:  half a red onion, a couple stalks of celery, half a tomato, a few baby carrots, and some garlic. Reminds me of my mother's "Friday Soup".  I added in a chicken boullion cube and enough water to cover, and let it cook on low for about 5 hours.  I tasted the seasoning at that point and added a little more salt and pepper.  Then I let it cool and stored a couple of lunch sized containers for the weekend.  
The rest went into a big container for the freezer:
This will be so easy and so comforting one night soon!



Shared with:

No comments: