Thursday, November 17, 2011

Bathroom walls

Before I could even think of spiffing and cleaning the kids bathroom 
I had to tackle the ugly truth about it's walls:
Oh, I can handle the truth...I admit it - I didn't have the knowledge or the follow-thru to do this right...
Let's just say that some places in the walls looked better than others...yikes
Enter a friend of mine who husband works with a subcontractor who does this sort of thing.  
He didn't poke fun at me, and even said it was a good effort..  Very diplomatic of him, I think!
 
The first evening, he worked 2 hours and took down all the towel bars and wallpapaer, 
and scraped the uneven areas of joint compound off the walls.
 Then the next two evenings he began taping off the door jambs and cabinets, etc.  This was the most time consuming part - six hours worth of work.  I don't think he realized how much a hassle that was going to be, or he would have charged me more...
 
And yes, this bathroom was out of commission for almost a week, no small thing with 
5 people sharing the master bathroom....
And after his last visit which lasted 5 1/2 hours, here's what we are left with...
Knockdown texture, perfectly done!  You can see the yellow paint peeking thru, soon to be a 
lovely shade of green!  Yes, I know it's hard to see, so here's a close up:
I wish I knew how to do this, but I don't, and it's good to know your limitations right?  Lovely knockdown texture, how I love it!  So much better than the nasty wallpaper and once I get it all done, the kids will have a beautiful, relaxing bathroom in green, cream, and gray.  I'm finishing up the painting today and hope to have it all put together by the time the boys get home from school.    
It's been a challenge - wish me luck on finishing it up!


2 comments:

KimMalk said...

This is going to turn out so beautifully. I'm surprised you decided to tackle the wall texture on your own.

Marie said...

Love the idea of green, cream and gray for a bathroom.
very soothing. You have a lovely home : )