Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Homemade popsicles

Last summer I jotted down some popsicle recipes hoping to spot some nifty plastic molds in a thrift store or even the grocery store.  All I ever came across was the super flimsy cheapo ones.  Fast forward to yesterday and look what my thrifty eagle eye spotted at the Big Red Ball:
OK, for 98 cents I will give it a go.  I got a recipe for creamy peanut butter popsicles from Homebody and I made the slight variation of adding a little Nutella:  Boil 1/2 c. water with 1/4 c. sugar for 3 min.  remove from heat and stir in 1/4 c. peanut butter and 1 c. milk.  Freeze til set.
These didn't fit exactly over the bars on the freezer shelf, but they were pretty steady and didn't tip.  I had to run some warm water over them to get them to slide out of the molds, and the creamy peanut butter separated a bit.  I think next time I will freeze the mixture halfway, stir up the slush and and then add to the mold - just to make sure it's a little more homogeneous.
My taste tester enjoyed his and asked that we try the Cafe Au Lait recipe next. (:




1 comment:

Marie said...

Too cute picture!
Popsicle looks sounds yummy and I agree with your son...the Au lait recipe sounds good.