Saturday, July 2, 2011

Blueberry Cake

Wanting to make a chilled dessert as a send-off for the boys, I came across an oldie but goodie given to me by my late mother-in-law - Blueberry Cake.  Now, there's nothing cakey about it.  It's more or less like a blueberry cheesecake - sorta pie-like.  Creamy and blueberry-y and delish!  I relaxed my 'no oven' rule for just 20 minutes...
 See my vintage recipe card?  (:

Crust:
2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 finely ground nuts (I leave these out)
1 stick butter, melted

Combine and pack firmly in 9x13 dish. 

Then mix the filling til smooth and creamy....


Filling:

8 oz. package cream cheese, softened 
1 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. lemon juice (not pictured above)

 ...and pour over the crust.  Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes and let it cool.  Then spread a can of blueberry pie filling over that...
 ...and lastly, top with two prepared envelopes of Dream Whip (or sub in Cool Whip, if you like) My MIL was a Dream Whip fan.  I think it tastes better since you make it with milk. There are some yummy recipes on the box, too. You find it in the same area as the cake mixes, etc.
 
Chill for at least 2 hours.
Layers of yum...this was the perfect summer dessert!




1 comment:

Marie said...

I will have to try this one...have you ever used cherry pie filling in place of the blueberry?