Yesterday I so didn't feel like tackling yet another closet on my organizing Tour of Rustown. It was The Girl's last day at home for Winter Break (officially) and I felt blue, even tho I knew she would be back Friday. I work all next weekend, and she does, too, so we will just barely pass each other. ): So, to waste time more efficiently I made a couple of pillow covers for her room:
They don't match the bed exactly, and that is perfectly fine...someone gave her these and she requested colors that would coordinate better than Dead Animal...
...because they started out as a brown leopard print. Ug. Ly. I went to Joann's and found some faux suede in raspberry, and slate grey. Soft. Washable. Perfect for pillow covers!
To gussy up the grey one I made a sort of bow that stretches across the front by
sewing a wide piece into a tube, then turning it over so the seam was in back
Then I sewed a basting stitch straight down the middle of it, so I could gather it.
With a smaller piece I made a smaller tube to be a cover for the gathers and tacked it in place.
Then I pinned it exactly where I wanted it to go on the front of the pillow.
I basted it since this material was a little slide-y. (I know, not a real word.)
On the right you can see where I used a straight edge and a sharpie to mark exactly where to sew the side seam - look closely, it's a thin green line. Usually I just "eyeball" it. But like I said, the fabric loved to slip. On the left you can see where I sewed over the sharpie - no one will ever see this and it helped me sew both sides evenly. Then I trimmed the excess off.
Turned it right side out, stuffed the pillow insert inside and Wah La!
Couldn't think of how to gussy up the raspberry one, so I left it plain. Plus, there's that dinner thing - it wasn't gonna just cook itself...and the boys were all home from school and work...